Wonderland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where you wander around, review, and post your literary works!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Great Expectations

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rachelle41
Instructor
Instructor
Rachelle41

WL Points : 28903

Great Expectations Empty
PostSubject: Great Expectations   Great Expectations EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 9:14 pm

So, alot of Freshman this year are reading Great Expectations. Most of us think it's one of the worst books in the world, save for A Tale of Two Cities. But, if you can try to read through the fancy language, it has a good plot. It's about a boy who lives with his sister and brother-in-law because his parents are dead. Him and his brother-in-law become friends, and help each other out when the sister goes "On the Rampage". He eventually meet the strange Miss Havisham, and it leads to him wanting more from life. He knows two girls, and likes both of them, but wants only one of them. And, I can't tell you the rest, because you'll need to read the ending for yourself. I've read it twice, and you might like the ending, or you might not. But, read through the text, read between the lines, and see what the simple meaning behind this timeless classic is.
And it really is timeless. haven't you felt discontened with your material things before? Haven't you searched within yourself to figure out who you are and who you want to be? Those are the same things Pip goes through, and we can all relate very well to it. So, put forth some effort in your Language Arts class, and at least try to read it without sleeping!
-Rachelle41 I love you
P.S. This is also the only book I've picked up in awhile, so what was I supposed to post about?
Back to top Go down
Tobi-chan
Admin
Admin
Tobi-chan

WL Points : 29042

Great Expectations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Expectations   Great Expectations EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 5:34 am

It's funny, I've had this book on my shelf for about three years now, but I've never read it (it isn't in any of our curriculum)...Yet it's taking up precious shelf-space. Fancy language from that era has never really scared me off, but I've never read Charles Dickens' style, so I'm not sure I'll like it...However, if you think it's halfway decent, I suppose I'll just have to add it to my Winter Reading List! Besides, this "Pip" sounds like a cutie, and I've heard good things about Charles Dickens.

I'll tell ya' what I think of it!

~Tobi~
Back to top Go down
http://radneto.tumblr.com
AbbeyRoad
Junior Writer
Junior Writer
AbbeyRoad

WL Points : 23646

Great Expectations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Expectations   Great Expectations EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 2:01 pm

Great Expectations is my second favourite book by Dickens. It weaves a wonderful tale about a boy who, as he grows, wants more from life. He learns about the world, what it has to offer and what he has to offer it. Pip learns what it's like to feel unstaisfied and satisfied, love and hate, contempt and happiness. As Chelle said, it's amazingly timeless. We had to read it at Canterbury last year, and most of my class really enjoyed it. I wish you the best of luck reading it, and hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Back to top Go down
Luv2Type
Instructor
Instructor
Luv2Type

WL Points : 31664

Great Expectations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Expectations   Great Expectations EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 11:46 pm

Like Chelle, I've read this once before and am reading it a second time in my language arts class. While everyone around me seems to hate it (or says 'at least its not A Tale of Two Cities') I enjoy it. Ms. Havisham is a interesting character, who, I'm sure you all agree, is crazy. Pip is everything we are-curious, hopefuly, positive, happy. He wants struggles with love (Biddy and Estella), happiness (having so much money but not being content) and life (what does he do after Biddy marries Joe?). It is a lesson written for us-to be happy with what we have, our computers, iPods and cell phones. It is written for the future-a lesson in how even an old city like London can house the most complex characters that are anything but ordinary. And of course it is a lesson for the past-for the readers who read it when it was first published to understand that the young of society thought brilliantly as well. It is timeless, ageless and wonderful. Well done Dickens, well done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Great Expectations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great Expectations   Great Expectations Empty

Back to top Go down

Great Expectations
Page 1 of 1