Wonderland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where you wander around, review, and post your literary works!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tobi-chan
Admin
Admin
Tobi-chan

WL Points : 29042

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne Empty
PostSubject: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne   The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 11:15 pm

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne The-boy-in-the-striped-pyjamas-book

This was a truly phenonmenal book, and the movie was equally brilliant. I'm surprised none of you have posted about it yet; it's a classic.

The book begins in Berlin, Germany, where, thus far, Bruno has lived all nine years of his life. He and his three best friends for life are planning to one day become explorers, but this is quickly squashed when Mother announces they're moving to a place called "Out-With" because of Father's job.
In Out-With, Bruno comes across a fence. Behind this fence are strange people in striped pajamas...

I can't tell you much more without spoiling it, but I shall see what the jacket of the book says before I make my final decision...and...Ah, here we go! This is what it says:

The story of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is very difficult to describe. Usually we give you some clues about the book on the jacket, but in this case we think that would spoil the reading of the book. We think it is important that you start to read without knowing what it's about. (Oops, I sort of ruined that...)

If you do start to read this book, you will go on a journey with a nine-year-old boy called Bruno. (Though this isn't a book for nine-year-olds.) And sooner or later you will arrive with Bruno at a fence.

Fences like these exist all over the world. We hope you never have to encounter such a fence.

Guys, I read this book in a day. Rarely do I read a book in a day as of late; that just goes to show how truly amazing this book is. It's very unique, particularly in the sense that it's written from a nine-year-old's point of view...The movie is actually just as good as the book, and the kid who plays Bruno is beyond adorable~ And, as you read, keep in mind that all is not as it seems. The ending will likely shock you. But that's the best part, my friends~

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne Boy-in-the-striped-pyjamas

Whee~ Movie poster/cover thing. Lovely~

~Tobi~
~For some reason, the spelling of "pajamas" is interchangeable. So it's seen as both "pajamas" and "pyjamas"~

Last edited by Tobi-chan on Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://radneto.tumblr.com
NikkiSwift
Honorable Writer
Honorable Writer
NikkiSwift

WL Points : 28169

PostSubject: Re: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne   The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 10:30 am

Oh! I remember this book. We had to read it in my fifth grade class last year. I was talking to Luv about it one day, and got her that book for her birthday a while ago.
That book was very well written, and it repeated simple phrases again many times in the book, which gave it a certain charm. The movie wasn't as good as I had imagined it, though, but oh well. It's a story about a little German boy, Bruno, and his relationship with a Jewish boy during WWII, when the Jews were kept in those camps.
That's pretty much what the story's about.
~Nikki
Back to top Go down
Luv2Type
Instructor
Instructor
Luv2Type

WL Points : 31664

PostSubject: Re: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne   The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 3:19 pm

Oh my gosh! I read that book! Nkki got it for me and I took it to camp and read it on teh bus (though it gave me a headache). It rocks! But it;s so sad! Sad
Back to top Go down
Rachelle41
Instructor
Instructor
Rachelle41

WL Points : 28903

PostSubject: I'm replying!   The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 4:53 pm

Oh my gosh, that is such a sad book! I skipped to the end of the book, and, wow, how could he do that to Bruno? I grew to love him as a little brother character, kind of. I was so sad at the end!
-Rachelle41
Back to top Go down
Tobi-chan
Admin
Admin
Tobi-chan

WL Points : 29042

PostSubject: Re: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne   The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Guys, guys. You totally just gave away the ending. But if you mean Bruno's father by "he" (please don't use pronouns in such situations, it's a bit of a bother), I just felt bad for him. So bad. If you haven't seen the movie, watch it. It should help you understand "him" a bit more. Sure, he's an evil Nazi, but I just feel so bad for him I can't bring myself to hate him. And, after "that", you should recall the book says his father no longer cared what they did to him. He's sad. I'm sad. I just love this book.

~Tobi~
Back to top Go down
http://radneto.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne   The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne Empty

Back to top Go down

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wonderland :: Community :: Books-
Jump to: