Wonderland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where you wander around, review, and post your literary works!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Movies...?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Tobi-chan
Admin
Admin
Tobi-chan

WL Points : 29112

Movies...? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movies...?   Movies...? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Actually, Suzanne Collins wrote the script, so it shouldn't be too bad, and they're going to keep it PG-13. I'm just worried they'll jack up the casting, but I'm always worried about that. Did ya'll SEE Avatar: The Last Airbender? I just rented it recently; thank GOD I didn't see it in the theater. Biggest waste of money EVER. And it was all in the casting; it was awful. Actually, they changed the name pronounciation and screwed up the plot too. Forget creative license, that was just bad. I don't remember if I mentioned this (probably did), but Inception was pretty good. Mr. and Mrs. Smith is awesome too, and Garfield is also good for those of you who like to re-watch movies. Those aren't too tiresome.
I just watched "Howl's Moving Castle", which is another good Miyazaki movie (think Spirited Away). However, Miyazaki has a tendency to make a lot of his characters look the same, and I wasn't very partial to the main character's voice. The plot, while very intruiging, had an ending I wasn't pleased with. Then again, it's almost impossible to satisfy me! It was really good, though, I'll admit, I couldn't tear my eyes away! It takes quite a bit for a movie to accomplish that. Very nice music, too.

~Tobi~
~Has anyone seen Easy A? I don't know if I should rent it...Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, too.~
Back to top Go down
http://radneto.tumblr.com
Rachelle41
Instructor
Instructor
Rachelle41

WL Points : 28973

PostSubject: Re: Movies...?   Movies...? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Easy A is an awesome movie, I'm sure you'd really like it, Tobi! I agree with her about Garfeild and Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and I really want to see Inception. Anything with the hotness of Leonardo DeCaprio in it and I'm there; I've loved him since Titanic. If Suzanne Collins wrote the script, it should be fine, but I worry about the casting, too. Perhaps Hollywood should ask the people who they want, and then they'll get a happier majority then if they try to pick themselves. Hollywood directors picking their own cast, scary.
-Rachelle41 I love you
Back to top Go down
Tobi-chan
Admin
Admin
Tobi-chan

PostSubject: Re: Movies...?   Movies...? - Page 2 EmptySun May 01, 2011 8:56 pm

Well, for once, I've actually been to the theater to see some movies...So I'll give you my opinion. Although I'll warn you, I think they're all PG-13...But other than violence, language, and A FEW sexual themes (that's only two; illegal business and all), they aren't half bad. None of those cheap comedies that use 100% crass (and often not all that funny) humor. IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ THE FIRST TWO, THEN AT LEAST READ THE THIRD. Please~ ;D

1) We were quite busy during Spring Break. After hours of swimming (well, body-boarding) in the Atlantic (we were the only ones out there; everyone else was too chicken to get in the freezing water), we stopped by the boardwalk (I wanted to buy EVERYTHING) and saw a couple movies. I wanted to see Source Code; I insisted we see Source Code. But no. Mother darling wanted to see Limitless...So we did.

As far as movies go, it wasn't half bad. The acting was good, the plot kept me entertained, and none of the camera-work made me cringe. However, some of the elements were a bit...Crude for my tastes. It's basically about a man who gets ahold of pills that have the ability to allow him to access 20% of his brain (usually we can only use 10%...at least, I think those are the numbers). He's able to invest in all the right stocks, and becomes better off than he'd ever dreamed. He's even able to finish the book he'd been failing at days prior. However, people are after the pills...And the tiny, translucent tablets come with complications of their own. So, yeah. It was pretty okay-good.

2) -ish. The next day we went to see Source Code because I WAS NOT leaving without seeing Source Code. Personally, I liked it better than Limitless, although some of the camerawork was off. Even so, the plot was both excellent and suspenseful, the actors were more or less spot-on (I'll admit, I was on a bit of a Jake Gyllenhaal rampage), and one particular scene brought me to tears. OMG. So touching. ;D Plot: Through a method called "Source Code", the main character, a soldier who recently returned from his tour in Afghanistan, is able to live the last eight minutes of a victim of a recent terrorist attack. However, he's less than willing to cooperate, especially after he finds himself falling for the man's wife...Will he be able to uncover the identity of the terrorists and save everyone on the train, or will be forced to choose between the two? Is it even possible to save them? Well, he isn't about to stop trying. Borderline good-great movie.

3) OH. MY. BUTTERED. POPCORN. Today, my mother, brother, and I visited the nearby AMC theater to see Fast Five, the most recent "Fast and the Furious" movie. I didn't really know what to expect, although descriptions from EW (Entertainment Weekly) had me really anticipating a dose of awesome. I got two doses of awesome. And an ending that leaves me wanting EVEN MORE.
The scene opens with Dom, who was, unfortunately, apprehended in the fourth movie, and sentenced to multiple years in a top-security prison with no chance of getting off early with parole. He's sitting there, in that bus, headed back towards the prison he'd sworn to never return to...And suddenly, with some ultra-cool car action from Brian and Mia (I think there was a third party, but it all happened really fast), the bus is doing 10+ flips.

As it turns out, everyone has survived. I KNOW, RIGHT? Oh, and one prisoner, Dominic Toretto, happens to be missing. The primary suspects are Brian and Mia...before they know it, they're on the run in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Vince suggests a job that goes terribly awry, Dwayne Johnson is on their tail, and they're planning to rob Hernan Reyes, the man who owns Rio...And has enough money to set their newfound team free.

Pretty much everybody returns for this one...I remember Dom, Brian, Mia, Roman, Han (aha, that third movie is totally random), Vince, Monica, Tej, and the Tego/Rico duo. Dwayne plays hardcore FBI agent Luke Hobbs...And really, the testosterone battles between him and Dom are both hilarious and shocking. At one point, a hammar gets involved...Yeah. I'm trying not to give too much away; really, I am. ;D
I must say, though...Some extremely shocking information about someone is revealed. Like, O.o "OMG I totally have to see the next one now!"

~Tobi~

Last edited by Tobi-chan on Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
giraffe22
Junior Writer
Junior Writer
giraffe22

WL Points : 25106
Location : Camp Half-Blood during the Summer or Hogwarts during the school year.

PostSubject: Re: Movies...?   Movies...? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 02, 2011 7:53 am

On YouTube, I was looking for ways to see the Eragon movie over Spring Break. I knew it sucked eggs before I watched it. From the theme song forward it was HORRIBLE! But they had good songs to describe the parts of the movie. Now my favorite song ever is Avril Lavinge: Keep Holding On. They got wrong characters for everyone except Ajihad, Nasuada and Murtagh. The dragon was stinkin' FEATHERED! They are supposed to be scaly and intimidating! And we do NOT see Galbatorix or Shruikan in the first book. The ending was opposite of what it was! Eragon passed out because of magic use. In the book he passes out because of a wound on his back from his right shoulder to left hip made by the Shade Durza! Eragon was also blonde. With blue eyes. Arya and him flirted at the end. He is supposed to have brown hair and brown eyes, and he is liking Arya, but they both do not like each other.

My rant/ Movie reveiw is over.

The point is. Never ever see the Eragon movie.

There are movie edits that are funny on YouTube. Just look up "funny eragon movie edits". Prepare to laugh.
Back to top Go down
Tobi-chan
Admin
Admin
Tobi-chan

PostSubject: Re: Movies...?   Movies...? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 12:50 am

Unfortunately, I did not receive your warning, Gira-kohai, and I watched the Eragorn movie...several years ago. I hadn't read the books, but even I thought it was dreadful. I was honestly bored watching it.

How does everyone feel about the casting for the Hunger Games, now that things have been decided? Personally, I'm a little bit disappointed, but I think the cast will perform well enough to satisfy me. The only person I'm really worried about is Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss; now that Josh Hutcherson has dyed his hair, I think he'll make a nice Peeta. He really does seem kind of Peeta-ish, although before the hair-altering, his appearance detracted from it too much for me to accept him. Here's a cast list (thus far) for those who haven't googled it:

Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen
Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark
Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne
Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman
Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket
Woody Harrelson as Haymitch Abernathy
Willow Shields as Primrose Everdeen
Toby Jones as Cladius Templesworth
Donald Sutherland as President Snow
Alexander Ludwig as Cato
Amandla Stenberg as Rue
Isabelle Fuhrman as Clove
Wes Bentley as Seneca Crane
Lenny Kravitz as Cinna
Jaqueline Emerson as Foxface
Leven Rambin as Glimmer
Paula Malcomson as Mrs. Everdeen
Amber Chaney as Avox Girl
Philip Troy Linger as Katniss's Father
Dayo Okeniyi as Thresh
Latarsha Rose as Portia
Brooke Bundy as Octavia
Jack Quaid as Marvel

For the District Children and pictures/bios of the cast, click this link: The Hunger Games (2012)

I recently went to see Green Lantern...and Ryan Reynolds pretty much made that movie. Otherwise, it was predictable and a tad boring. I hated his female co-star, but his best friend was a great character. Most memorable scene:
[after Hal has called Tom over to pick him up]
Hal Jordan: We can't stay here.
Thomas Kalmaku: What?
Hal Jordan: Gotta go.
[Tom looks over at the dead body of Abin Sur]
Thomas Kalmaku: What, uh...?
Hal Jordan: A pilot. He wore a uniform. I think he was a soldier. He gave me this.
[he hold up the ring]
Thomas Kalmaku: He proposed?
XD Totes, Thomas. Totes.

~Tobi~
Back to top Go down
Luv2Type
Instructor
Instructor
Luv2Type

WL Points : 31734

PostSubject: Re: Movies...?   Movies...? - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 11:52 pm

The Official Hunger Games Preview has come out on YouTube! All you need to put in is 'Hunger Games' and the official one should come up. You gotta watch it guys. Gives you goose bumps (at least it gave me some). There are minor bad spots. For example: When they go to have their names drawn, they wear uniforms; Prim is too small; the fence is wooden; Katniss wears a red dress when they go to the mayor in the city; Effie has GRAY hair; Peeta's hair isn't curly enough. Those are all I can currently remember. But it shouldn't be a fail. I don't believe there will be a reason for Wonderland to rise.
Back to top Go down
Tobi-chan
Admin
Admin
Tobi-chan

PostSubject: Re: Movies...?   Movies...? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 1:25 am

I'm sure they won't screw up the Hunger Games too much. I mean, I'm rereading the books the day before and bringing pen and paper with me to write down everything they get wrong, but it should all be cool. Yeah, even though Effie is creepy looking, she doesn't have her pink hair, and that's a travesty. I wish Josh's hair was curly, but at least he dyed it blond. I wouldn't nitpick the Prim thing; she hasn't been eating properly most of her life and she, too, grows up with the books. The costume choices they probably should have been more careful about, though.

But hey, Hunger Games aside, if you're going to see Mission Impossible Four, I'd advise waiting for the DVD. And there's another highly anticipated movie based on a very famous book; THE HOBBIT. They've set the date for December 14, 2012. Martin Freeman looks to be a much more pleasant Bilbo, the dwarves are looking AWESOME, and Andy Serkis is reprising his role as Smeagol. ...Anyone else following this fandom? XD I'd advise seeing it anyway; the Lord of the Rings series was amazing, and this is a chance to see the prequel in theatres...And hey, Elijah Wood will be making a cameo as our favorite angel-eyed Frodo, so what's not to love?

~Tobi~
Back to top Go down
Luv2Type
Instructor
Instructor
Luv2Type

PostSubject: Re: Movies...?   Movies...? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 4:51 pm

If anyone has been considering seeing 'Dolphin Tale' I highly suggest it. It's a wonderful inspiring, sweet movie that, yes, teenagers can enjoy. Sawyer, a young boy probably around 10, helps save a dolphin, Winter. With Hazel's help, he comes and cares for her, but because of infection, they have to take her tail. For a while, she learns to swim, kind of like a snake in water. Only, muscle builds up and pulls on her spine and they decide to get a fake tail from a guy with makes new limbs for veterns. Wait till you see what happens the first time.
It's a really good movie and I;m definiatly going to buy it on Blu Ray. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tobi-chan
Admin
Admin
Tobi-chan

PostSubject: Re: Movies...?   Movies...? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 1:07 am

If you haven't seen "War Horse" yet, first of all, have you been isolated in Antarctica? And second, what kind of human being are you?

It's truly a beautiful and inspiring movie. It may start out a bit slow, but that part is important (well, mostly - I think David Thewlis is just there to be David Thewlis XD), and it grows to be such an amazing thing. War just tears people apart and brings them together - and it's just so beautiful. I must say, my favorite scene was one with a British soldier and a German soldier who clearly had their misgivings about each other, but still worked together, and could even have become friends. For those of you who don't know (where have you been the past year?), the movie's premise (it's based on a play and a book by the same title - both are brilliant) is of a young English boy, Albert, whose father makes a last-ditch investment on a beautiful horse who seems like he'll never be able to plow the fields in time to pay the rent. And then we get to the good stuff; the horse, Joey (a positively gorgeous bay - speculated to be an Arabian in the movie), has to be sold off to the army on the brink of World War One. After a tragic incident at the war camp he's sent to, Albert determines he must join the army to go after his beloved horse.

Even if you dislike horses as much as I dislike dogs, I think you'll still love this movie, just because it's so wonderfully and terribly touching. The bond is something anyone can relate to...

...Heavens, if all that doesn't draw you in, I'll just have to dangle before you the bait that made me cry like a baby before the end: they, the brilliant casters, managed to reel in Benedict Cumberbatch. ...No one's excited? Really? Geez, guys. This made me squeal in the theater.

It's definitely not a waste. And while I'm at it, go watch "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows"! It's waaay better than the first one. Sherlock fans, Moriarty actually makes an appearance in this movie! And Irene not-so-much! And Mary's pretty absent too! It's just good, old-fashioned Sherlock and John on the hunt... And Ritchie's interpretation of the Reichenbach Falls left me feeling wholly satisfied. There is also Mycroft-fun afoot!

...Non-Sherlock fans, there's a lot of actually interesting action, mystery-solving, and Jude Law. ;D

~Tobi
Back to top Go down
giraffe22
Junior Writer
Junior Writer
giraffe22

Location : Camp Half-Blood during the Summer or Hogwarts during the school year.

PostSubject: Re: Movies...?   Movies...? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 2:59 am

The Hunger Games was amazing!

It fit the book well and I was crying the whole movie when it hit me.

I'll have to wait more than a year for Catching Fire.

Rues' death was accurate along with Cato's death. I was happy to see the idiot die.

But I kind of forgot about the mutts and basically curled up in my chair and started to rock back and forth. If you guys see them movie with me, prepare to hear me and see me cry the whole thing.

But see the movie. Just see it. No arguments. Okay?

Back to top Go down
Luv2Type
Instructor
Instructor
Luv2Type

PostSubject: Re: Movies...?   Movies...? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 10:53 am

Like Giraffe, I just saw the Hunger Games. It was INCREDIBLE! There were some slight changes (such as she didn't get the Mockingjay pin from the mayor's daughter), but everything fit perfectly. Effie Trinket was portrayed to her full extent (that was mahogany! ;D), Haymitch could've been fatter, but he was mainly okay ( you call that a kiss? ;D). I cried when Rue died *sniff* (I later started practically sobbing) and had tears of joy at the end when Katniss and Peeta returned to Prim smiling on Gale's shoulders. In the book, if you recall, they did not cuss. They said the D word several times in the movie, but that was about it. The Capital was just about the craziest/best thing I've ever seen and I love the Head Gamemakers beard! Nothing is that grusome or disgusting (hence the PG-13 rating). The dogs jumping out of the underbrush scared the whole theater to death and warning: Peeta paints his face into the rock, which gives you a little jump back cause you don't where he is. There is romance (watch Gale's face when they lip kiss!) but they spend time with the battling of course. I think they could've used Rue more, so that when she starts sobbing over her we understand how much she means to her. The flowers were perfect, Thresh does defend Katniss for Rue (only once) and I got teary when Thresh died. Hope I didn't spoil anything. Enjoy! Smile
Back to top Go down
Rachelle41
Instructor
Instructor
Rachelle41

WL Points : 28973

PostSubject: Re: Movies...?   Movies...? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 9:47 pm

Oh, the Hunger Games was awesome!
Go see it, you totally should. I cried when Rue died, especially when you see her fathers reaction when Katniss kisses her three fingers and holds them up.
Effie is the most wonderful, amazing person ever. She is the comic relief of the film, and is wonderful (she knows the whole little film about the Hunger Games by heart)
Haymitch is fabulous too (Loosen your corset and have a drink!) And he annoys Effie perfectly and is just awesome.
Caeser is pretty good to. He doens't look physiclly like you would imagine it, but his personality fits the book perfectly.
The Careers are awesome, too, and they fit the book very well, especially Cato, Glimmer, and Clove. Cato and Glimmer are kinda a little something-something, but there's only a very short clip of that before the Tracker Jacker nest falls.
The other tributes are pretty good to. Thresh, Rue, and Foxface all are pretty good, although more time should have been spent on Rue, although they do pretty good. Her death was so sweet when they buried her with flowers, although she should have sung to her better.
You can tell that the whole Katniss and Peeta love story is staged, maybe a little too much. And if you were Team Peeta, Liam Hemsworth might make you a little wary (he did to me!)
So...I think that's everything.
And one more thing. You can buy Hunger Games nailpolish at Ulta. They have gold and red supreme glittery nailpolish for th Girl on Fire. Smile
-Rachelle41
Back to top Go down
Tobi-chan
Admin
Admin
Tobi-chan

PostSubject: Re: Movies...?   Movies...? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 6:55 pm

Okay, well, for starters, thanks for telling me to go see the Hunger Games, guys. It was a great movie adaptation and I really enjoyed it! But since you've all got long lists of praise, I just want to critique one or two things that were a bit too different from the books for my tastes (or completely cut out - I read the book the week before I saw it).

When Katniss finds out Peeta is "working with" the Careers, she just looks how I feels. I understand they have to interpret her emotions onto screen, but I missed that little smirk she was meant to give the camera. It's one of those little details, but it gives her character more depth.

Additionally, I did not like their interpretation of Katniss' interaction with Thresh at the Feast. The movie was hurried and angry-seeming - Thresh did not have his general composure, and the scene lacked the emotion felt in the book (as well as some really great dialogue). I was otherwise pleased by his character, but this bothered me a little.

They chose not to include the eyes of the tributes in the mutts, which is understandable; they could've banged Katniss up a little more at the Feast interaction, though. She makes Peeta look a little pathetic there. And Cato was a bit of a different character at the end; I was a little sad when he died.

Speaking of which, besides Rue's death, there was one other scene that brought me to tears - the Reaping. When the entire district raised three fingers to Katniss, I got really choked up for some reason. Also, Chelle, while Liam Hemsworth is a beautiful man, I don't particularly enjoy Gale, so I don't see him as a threat (although I giggled like crazy when he had to watch all of those kissing scenes). While the movie makes it seem like he could win Katniss over (I liked Jennifer Lawerence's Katniss well enough, too, but, well...), Josh Hutcherson's Peeta was my favorite character in that movie. Maybe it's because I've pretty much watched Josh grow up as an actor, but I feel like he's perfected his craft in this movie. I don't think I could've aked for - or found - a better Peeta. And actually, I don't think Haymitch would've put on weight after his Games - he seems like he'd stay really in shape out of paranoia - and, eh, his actor portrayed him wonderfully. Same goes for Effie! Spot on! Poor Seneca, too. He was so great, and President Snow was a seriously scary man.

...But, fantastic movie. You will love it, and it lives up to the book. Now we must hibernate until they make Catching Fire (looking forward to all that Peeta, even if he never develops any chemistry with Katniss... And hey, Finnick Odair! Fun times ;D)

~Tobi
Back to top Go down
Luv2Type
Instructor
Instructor
Luv2Type

PostSubject: Re: Movies...?   Movies...? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 5:20 pm

Just wanted to tell you guys that 'October Baby' is super good. It breaks your heart and it does bring out tears, but it has a happy ending. And just so y'all know, its about a failed abortion attempt. But it teaches forgiveness in the highest degree and really does speak to the heart. Its no longer in theaters, but is avalible on DVD.

God bless <3
Back to top Go down
giraffe22
Junior Writer
Junior Writer
giraffe22

PostSubject: Re: Movies...?   Movies...? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 5:28 pm

OMG, somebody actually posted here.

Magic Mike was really good. Just sayin'.

~Susie
Back to top Go down
Tobi-chan
Admin
Admin
Tobi-chan

PostSubject: Re: Movies...?   Movies...? - Page 2 EmptySat May 25, 2013 2:36 pm

(Is this the first post of 2013 because I think that would make it a speshul snowflake)

Sue, I can't believe you've seen Magic Mike, only I can, because that's definitely something you'd do. ;D It certainly isn't lacking attractive, barely-clothed men for those of you who are of age!

I dunno, I've just been reading around here out of nostalgia. Maybe we'll all come back some time. I would like to leave an actual movie review in case any of you stop by: Star Trek Into Darkness. Those of you who've friended me on Facebook are quite aware of my recent metamorphosis into a Trekkie, and this movie did not disappoint! It is the sequel to the eleventh Star Trek movie (titled, appropriately, "Star Trek") which served as both a reboot and a prequel of the Star Trek series, complete with a refreshing new cast. The movie has it's flaws: J.J. Abrams has a tendency to white-wash characters, ignore important female roles, and include a blinding amount of lensflares, for example. But the newest movie is nevertheless heartfelt - and, at times, heart-wrenching. Benedict Cumberbatch's mystery villain manipulates the characters and the audience in shocking ways, testing the new bond between Kirk and (the sassiest Vulcan ever) Spock. A treat for new and old fans of Star Trek alike. ;D

~Tobi
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movies...?   Movies...? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Movies...?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wonderland :: Community :: General Chat-
Jump to: