Wonderland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where you wander around, review, and post your literary works!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Book Idea, Feedback Anyone?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Luv2Type
Instructor
Instructor
Luv2Type

WL Points : 31654

Book Idea, Feedback Anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Book Idea, Feedback Anyone?   Book Idea, Feedback Anyone? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 12:14 pm

So here it is-a book idea I have, which NO ONE is allowed to steal from me, okay? Good. There is no title yet and I'm having trouble thinking of the first sentence. Well, the begining in general. That's why I need feedback and help.
Set in the age of aristoctratic Europe, young Wendy Marsonn has just turned fifteen. Searching through hundreds of suitors for her to marry, her heart settles on Mr. Christopher Pats, a twenty-year-old heir of his father's lordship. After a short month of courtship, Christopher's family suggests he move to France to seek a different future bride. To escape the wrath of his family, he regrettingly leaves Wendy for Maria Sophia, the eldest daughter of a rich French lord. Battles between the two women, Christopher and life begin first in letters and later in person when Wendy is also sent to France. Is this a chance for Wendy or prove her dedication to Christopher or an opportunity to fall in love with a more deserving French man?
Also, someone (I'm not sure who yet) will say this: 'I did not marry her sickness nor beauty nor wealth. If anyone were to do or claim such would be blashemy to the intelligence of the female race.'
Please, give me feedback and help. I've already tried to start this once, but it just wasn't right. I need something that just grabs hold and never lets go. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.
Love, Luv Smile
Back to top Go down
Tobi-chan
Admin
Admin
Tobi-chan

WL Points : 29032

PostSubject: Re: Book Idea, Feedback Anyone?   Book Idea, Feedback Anyone? EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 6:47 pm

I must say, Luv, this sounds like a right bit of fun! Except for the Frenchman part. Ah, Frenchies. They hate us, you know? D; Okay, I'm making this up as I go along, so starting off, you're probably going to have to figure out what year your book will be set in, so you can properly research the culture before writing. It would also be more appropriate if you wrote the tale in an older fashion, similar to the styles of Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte. The story is set in that day and age, after all. Oh, before I forget, you forgot the "p" in "blasphemy". ;D That's such a fun word. Meaning wise, anyway.
The plot sounds fairly, well, sound. You don't have to know all of the intricate workings of the plot (e.g., the plotline) before getting started. The author of "Fairest" and "Ella Enchanted", Gail Carson Levine, wrote a book titled "Writing Magic" detailing some of the in's and out's of writing. Fortunately, one of those was more or less making things up as you go along, and then going back to check for consistency. Personally, this is what I do. I just can't bring myself to plan it out beforehand; it has to be spontaneous! XD Anyway, that's just a load of stress off of a writer's shoulders, if you ask me. Which you sort of did, I s'pose. XD
Well, this seems to be the beginnings of a classic. The plot is so classic romance, it's almost astonishing. Of course, it'd be more realistic if she did end up in a horrible marriage with that Christopher bloke after they eloped together, or if the Frenchman turned out to be a aristocrat-age pimp...But that's no fun. And that's depressing. You can't have depression in romance! ...Unless you're Jane Eyre. And in that case, I would advise making the both of them suffer before she ends up with anyone. Make sure their character flaws are somewhat resolved with one another and such.
A, titles. It's fantastic that you already have all the names (and such nice names they are!), but titles are even harder to deal with. You should either wait until you've finished the piece, or, well...think really hard! Of course, I'll try and spitball a few things, but I'm not the best at titles either. I named one of my pieces "Mildly Apathetic and Possibly Suffering from Psychosis". Yeah. That's real creative. Maybe you could describe the main character in the title? Let's see...I'll go take a break and think real hard about it...
Okay, so I took a shower, and now I'm back with sort-of title ideas! I'll just start a list, then...: Prior Engagement (This is my favorite), (The) Property of a Lady in Love, What's Said is Done, All On the Menu, To Each Her Own Taste, Contracts of the Heart (Marriage contracts...XD Cheesy!), Coup de Foudre (English: "Bolt of Lightening", a term describing love at first sight)...Yeah, that's about all I got. And this French web-source is making me depressed...Well, if the Frenchies bothered to teach us, maybe we wouldn't mess their language up. Rock-solid logic, that.
So, by saying their life begins in letters, you mean that they first meet through letters, then meet in person when she follows him to France? Sorry, just had to clarify for myself. XD That really confused me the first time I read it. Personally, I think you should start with a letter that she beings, but doesn't like, and thus throws away. Then, as she continues to fail at writing, her frustrations explode, and she begins to take them out on inanimate objects (probably through shouting), when someone interrupts her, therefore embarrassing her...Aaand the plot goes on from there, her introducing herself, maybe describing Christopher (or how she imagines him to be), then she could perhaps receive the news of his movement into another engagement...etcetera. So on and so forth.
Hope that helps, but it probably doesn't. XD Good luck, Luv!
~Tobi~
~HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!! I TOTES LOVE YOU!!!~
~That last bit referring to America, of course~
~My darling America~
Back to top Go down
http://radneto.tumblr.com
Luv2Type
Instructor
Instructor
Luv2Type

PostSubject: Re: Book Idea, Feedback Anyone?   Book Idea, Feedback Anyone? EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 3:50 pm

The letters part means that after Christopher goes to France, they communicate through letters and then their love letters turn into arguements over Maria Sophia, Christopher himself and both of their lives. I LOVE that you gave me a French title in with all the others. I like 'What's Said is Done', 'To Each Her Own Taste', 'Contracts of the Heart', and 'Coup de Foudre', though I might type lovey titles into Google Translate for some other French options. Thank you, that's really helpful. I was hoping someone like you or Cheez or somebody who can really help would post. Post more if you have scene ideas or anything.
Thanks! Love, Luv Smile
Back to top Go down
Luv2Type
Instructor
Instructor
Luv2Type

PostSubject: Re: Book Idea, Feedback Anyone?   Book Idea, Feedback Anyone? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 3:18 pm

No matter what I Google/Bing, I can't find a site that gives me some of aristocratic Europe's vocab. Maybe it'll be in one of the four books I plan on getting about Europe in the aristocratic age, but still. I'd like to know NOW. I've never been one to research, so even finding and completely reading all four books might not be accomplished. I guess my characters can just talk with big, fancy words and all that stuff, like the moveis or something. But I STILL don't know how to start it. Question
Back to top Go down
Tobi-chan
Admin
Admin
Tobi-chan

WL Points : 29032

PostSubject: Re: Book Idea, Feedback Anyone?   Book Idea, Feedback Anyone? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 8:49 pm

It's not so much a vocab issue as it is a stylistic issue. Really, Luv, your best bet is to read books set in that time period throughout the writing process. I've found that whenever I do that, my writing style gets really old-fashioned and English-sounding. Then again, I write with a British accent most of the time anyway...XD It's more fun that way! But as I was saying, the English have a particular style of writing, so it's best to just read it and adapt into it.
~Tobi~
Back to top Go down
http://radneto.tumblr.com
Luv2Type
Instructor
Instructor
Luv2Type

PostSubject: Ode à l'Amour    Book Idea, Feedback Anyone? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 3:04 pm

My Dearest Wendy, the note began. It brings to my heart such an overwhelming wave of joy to know your age is now fifteen. With such an age comes great responsibility to marry a man higher that your dear social class. As your father and I have been of knowledge of this fact for quite some time, we have taken the burden of arranging a coming out ball in your honor. Tonight, you will arrive with great commemorations to our Royal Highnesses summertime palace. Do not delay in great preparations. All look forward to spontaneous activities.
With shaking fingers, young Wendy Marsonn delicately replaced the note to her mirror table. The letters shone bright with gold and the paper’s peachy aroma floated around her head in a dainty, gentle cloud. A knock at the heavy oak door brought a flood of crisp, wet tears that dripped and stained the peachy, gold lettered note beneath her. But of course her weeping was of the same quietness as her breathing and the maid entered with no knowledge of the tearful happenings.
The room in which Wendy wept was of fine quality to many eyes. Dark, rich cheery oak wood paneled the floors, ceiling and doors. The walls were covered in thick, romantic tapestries, picturing quiet gardens, flying bluebirds, huntsman, the Royal Family, and many more scenes. However, if one were to remove such tapestries, the exposed wall would shine with the effect of painted gold, for it was in fact painted gold. The bed in which she slept had a golden canopy which sides could be closed around the bed itself for privacy in any situation. Her mattress was stuffed with downy feathers, her linens and blankets all of cloth gold. Cloth gold also covered the downy stuffed pillows, with shining golden tassels hanging from each corner.

Above is the begining of the story. Tell me what you think!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book Idea, Feedback Anyone?   Book Idea, Feedback Anyone? Empty

Back to top Go down

Book Idea, Feedback Anyone?
Page 1 of 1