Wonderland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where you wander around, review, and post your literary works!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Death Note: Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tobi-chan
Admin
Admin
Tobi-chan

WL Points : 28852

Death Note: Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases Empty
PostSubject: Death Note: Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases   Death Note: Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 7:44 pm

This is a novel based off of the manga/anime/live-action movie series Death Note (which is epic, everyone should see and love it). The series revolves around a teenage boy named Light Yagami, who finds a device called the "Death Note", which enables someone to kill someone by writing down their name in the Death Note. Yeah, not the best description ever, but my brain is distracted by my annoyingly loud brother. Anyway, so the series continues with Light trying to be the god of a new, criminal-free world, while the greatest detective ever, L, tries to stop him.

This book is a sort of prequel to the series, before L encountered "Kira" and the Death Notes. Here's the description:

There's a serial killer loose in Los Angeles and the local authorities need help fast. For some reason the killer has been leaving a string of maddeningly arcane clues at each crime scene. Each of these clues, it seems, is an indecipherable roadmap to the next murder.

Onto the scene comes L, the mysterious super-sleuth. Despite his peculiar working habits--he's never shown his face in public, for example--he's the most decorated detective in the world and has never tackled a case he hasn't been able to crack.

But this time he needs help.

Enlisting the services of an FBI agent named Naomi Misora, L starts snooping around the City of Angels. It soon becomes apparent that the killing spree is a psychotic riddle designed specifically to engage L in a battle of wits. Stuck in the middle between killer and investigator, it's up to Misora to navigate both the dead bodies and the clashing egos to solve the Los Angeles BB Murder Cases.

Really, that's a terrible summary, but I don't think I could do much better. I'd really like to know what reading this is like for someone who hasn't read/seen the series, because going in I had certain preconceived notions that lead me in the wrong direction...Nevertheless, it's an intruiging mystery that I couldn't help but read in one sitting.

~Tobi~
Back to top Go down
http://radneto.tumblr.com
Rachelle41
Instructor
Instructor
Rachelle41

WL Points : 28713

PostSubject: Re: Death Note: Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases   Death Note: Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 1:27 pm

That actually sounds very interesting. A serial killer, an amazing, mysterious detective. It's different from other crime shows. There is no big team like "Criminal Minds" or "CSI", it's one person. A breath of fresh air, if you will. However, what does Light Yagami do in all of this? Why does L want to stop him from making the world "crime free"? Is it because if there's no crimes, he won't have a job? Or is he jealous that Yagami has the easy route, and he got it with no hard work, while he himself works his butt off? Overall, I think your summary was pretty good, besides the small missing peices. I don't really like anime and manga, but this book sounds really cool!
-Rachelle41 I love you
Back to top Go down
Tobi-chan
Admin
Admin
Tobi-chan

WL Points : 28852

PostSubject: Re: Death Note: Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases   Death Note: Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 6:11 pm

Oh, you replied with questions, and I didn't answer them! How dreadful of me! ...Or did I, and I simply don't remember? Ah, well. Actually, Light Yagami has nothing to do with this particular book; he's the main character of the actual series. As I said, this book is more of a prequel to the series, so L is the only really familiar character (aside from the main character, Naomi Misora, who I really didn't like much in the actual series). It's...Well, it's difficult to explain to someone who doesn't follow the series. I'd probably lose you completely, sorry.

I will, however, answer your questions, which relate directly to the actual series. In that series, Light Yagami is the protagonist; at first, you can't help but agree with what he's doing. You cheer for him, and hope he manages to evade L. But L...grows on you. L is not worried about being out of a job, believe me; he's an utter genius, so even without his detective job, he'd find plenty of other things to do. Really, the title of L is a sort of burden. For the sake of his life, no one can know his true identity, including his name and face. Then you see how Light's power has driven him mad; he believes himself to be a new god (Kira = god of death), with the power to choose who lives and who dies. Sure, they're criminals who have done terrible things, and perhaps they deserve it, but for someone to have that sort of power over people...He begins to kill innocents, too; people who stand in his way. Naomi Misora and her husband are a few of those people, along with...Others.

As he starts to kill off all of your favorite characters, you find you aren't such a big fan of Light anymore. And then...Well, it's not a happy series, but it's powerful. It teaches an important lesson, to be sure. Perhaps anime and manga will grow one you, Chelle-chan. They do tell such moving stories~!

~Tobi~
Back to top Go down
http://radneto.tumblr.com
sopingspree

WL Points : 22760

PostSubject: Re: Death Note: Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases   Death Note: Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases EmptyFri Oct 14, 2011 7:16 pm

i want to add something about death note...death note is a novel where l and yagami fight off each other using their wits.

The reason for l to chase yagami is simple. L usually has interest in hard and unusual cases , it can't be more interesting for him than seeing people die one by one with the same category and the same cause of death without any explanation. secondly i believe L knows that you have no right over the life of the other person even if he is a criminal. following the ideology of light is like having a mass death penalty to possible offenders.

Light on the other hand. He is a kid who seeks something larger than life...at first he said to ryuk that he is just bored that is why he is doing it...Light as a character, has a high sense of justice. I can also understand light 's feelings on why he pursue his dream of having a perect world but the power he posses consumes him as a person until he loss it.

I love this story cause its all about ideology and strength of character in dealing against each other in the face of death.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Death Note: Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases   Death Note: Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases Empty

Back to top Go down

Death Note: Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wonderland :: Community :: Books-
Jump to: